Thursday, July 28, 2011

Opening the Purple Pear

The last two days, I have been moving into my shop at 1720 Lovejoy, Space #120.  The store faces 18th Street and is next to a cafe that sells espresso drinks and quick meals.  Stop by and see the shop and grab something from the cafe before you head home.
I just flew in Monday, late afternoon, after attending the IDAL Convention in Hampton, VA where I met many of the other Stockists as well as Annie Sloan.
We all had the opportunity to watch her paint a piece of furniture that was be given to someone in a drawing at the end of the show.  What a treat to watch Annie paint and wax and work.  It seems that she painted this piece in a flash!
I just kept taking photos of the process and watched her closely as she did each step. 
What a gem!  She used Primer Red on the first coat, then painted the base and mirror with Duck Egg Blue.  On the top and accents, she used Old White and finished it with the clear  and then dark wax. 
I returned to Alexandria, VA and went on a couple of bike rides in 100 degree temps over to Washington DC as well as Mount Vernon another day.  What a great trip and now I am back  opening my shop, "The Purple Pear".  Please do come and visit me.  Lots of workshops will be up and running very soon.  It will be a great place to paint, see all the colors, and talk about projects and ideas.  I am very excited to get going on all of this!








5 comments:

Lois said...

I have always admired worn, painted antique furniture and own a few wonderful pieces, how brilliant that you are now able to achieve these beautiful effects. The layering of colour and accent is fascinating. I am looking forward to following your blog, and only wish I was near enough to drop by your shop for a browse, chat and a coffee! Good luck with it all, what an exciting journey! Lois x

Pat said...

This is very exciting. I admire your energy and willingness to try something new. I hope that you have all the good adventuring and pleasure.
I have liked to change aspects of furniture. I have used the "antiquing process" for many years.
Putting my thoughts and energy into the project cements my commitment to it. It is similar to bonding. I just can't give them away.
Your colors are wonderful and the layering of color is so hypnotizing.
I wish you happiness with this project!

Marie said...

This is just so exciting! What fun to attend such a gathering and learn from Annie herself! I am so happy for you and excited that you have the opportunity to open your own shop. If I am ever your way I will not even hesitate to stop in and have a bit of fun :)

Anonymous said...

Are you up and running?? :-)

Tamara said...

Phyllis . . . would love to hear more about the Purple Pear! Thanks so much for your kind comment on my blog about The Black Kitty. Will be visiting you often here :)