Sunday, February 12, 2012

French Wallpaper Screen

I found this screen at an estate sale. I think screens in a room are beautiful as well as functional. I knew this one could be painted in ASCP and re-wallpapered to give it a whole new life.
I had purchased some very old French wallpaper about a year ago in one of the antique malls and it had some form of French identity on the back. I saved that part. I made one lampshade and sold it on etsy, one I featured recently in Pinterest, but I wanted to use the wallpaper in something larger to show the beauty of the design.
I painted the frame in Old Ochre and waxed it, but now I am thinking I will add some dark wax and distressing to give it more character to match the old French design.
I have many design books in my collection and this has currently become my go-to book for inspiration. If you can find it, it is well worth the investment to own a copy.

Annie Sloan keeps a book like this primarily to show the gradations of color change when Old White is added. She also puts in inspiring photos as well as fabric swatches. Ever since I saw hers, I determined to make one too. Currently I am writing down paint recipes. I buy the thicker mixed media art books so the pages can be painted. It is a great way to remember inspiring paint combinations too.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful screen, Phyllis! You did a great job with the redo. What a great find. I also really like your idea about keeping a little notebook. And, I love the Aubusson mixed with Antibes. I hope to see you soon,

Liz M